18 Feb Maritime Training
Brussels, 1928. Surely Einstein must have been right somehow, directing the above phrase to Niels Bohr, in order to express doubt regarding the “Uncertainty Principle”
Official data that relate as much to aviation as well as marine accidents confirm the well known scientist’s maxim. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration in the US (OSHA), just 2% of accidents cannot be predicted, thus unavoidable, while the remaining 98% could have been avoided through better management.
We welcome you to the new AMSI-Aeronautics and Maritime Safety Institute, which will be expressed through this website. The principle focus of the website is Safety. Aviation and Maritime safety, including fields in industry where risk is necessary to be detected and managed sufficiently in all operations it presents itself.
Prevention, the management of dangers, and an in-depth examination of the reasons for accidents, act as an integral element to the relatively new and developing sector for transport and industry. This element didn’t develop by chance. The contemporary meaning of safety includes as much theory, investigation and the classification of human efficiency, as the prevention through directives, training and the equivalent qualifications. Besides nobody today supports the idea that “God plays dice with the universe”, the official data from OSHA give their own answer to that.
There is a dual factor which helps the development of safety in modern times. On the one hand there is society’s interest regarding its protection. A primary example is the gradual rise in visitations from public to black lists sights for aviation carriers who do not comply with international standards. A characteristic example is the destruction of the Zeppelin at Hindenburg airport in New Jersey in 1937, bringing about the tragic death to 37 people, a fact that had an enormous social impact and signalled the cease of its use.
On the other hand and slightly less visible, includes the enormous financial impact an aviation or maritime carrier will face after a disastrous accident. The aviation company ValueJet was, in essence, grounded during an investigation for an accident, by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in June 1996. When the company was permitted to ‘fly’ in September of the same year, it couldn’t face the financial problems that had risen from the investigation. Today with the presence of aviation and maritime companies in financial tabloids, it urges them to keep their reputation at high standards, void of unpleasant surprises from equivalent events that might force them to lose their stock values from an uncontrollable spiral within a few hours.
Creating this introductory article, it is worth noting that the visitor will not discover just photographs and heroic nautical stories, or equivalent articles that will display ‘superhuman’ abilities. As much due to abiding to the procedures of transport, it entails humility and a low profile that comes from professional responsibility, but also because the people responsible of the website believe in the maxim:
The mark of a truly superior captain is the use of his superior judgment, to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skills
Significant effort will be made to present the latest information that involves not only the basic, but also the most advanced techniques regarding the prevention of incidents, the investigation of serious accidents, as well as relevant articles for the visitor with a primary goal in sight: to keep all crew away from the fatal file of aviation and marine accidents!
So welcome aboard, and let’s begin this great journey in the field of Aeronautics and Maritime safety.
Have a safe journey!